Crazy Papa

Crazy Papa
I'll make 'um an offer

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Though I Walk Through The Valley...

Is this a phrase that you recognize? I do. It's in Psalm 24:4 and it says "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for Thou art with me." A very familiar verse in a very familiar chapter of God's Word. So David admits to God that even though a time in his life is like "death" he has no fear. And why? Because he knows that his God is with him.

This is what I thought about when I read Psalm 138:7 which says... "Though I walk in the midst of trouble, Thou wilt revive me (or keep me alive). Thou wilt stretch forth Thy hand against the wrath of my enemies, and Thy right hand will save me".

Both verses display a good level of confidence in God's ability to take care of him.
So many of us are walking through some of these valleys that surely look like "death" to us and we need to be confident in the one who is our provider and protector. I see so many people whose confidence is "shaken" as the result of a serious trial in their lives, yet they profess to "walk with God". Not sure I understand that. "If God is for us, who can be against us" (Ro. 8:31)? Why are we as Christians so shaken and distressed when the God of the universe has promised to "stretch out His right hand...against our enemies"?

I know you are all aware that Barb and I have experienced some very difficult emotional times lately but I have to say it is these very things that cause me to run even faster toward God because He has assured me of His love and protection in my life.

One of my favorite passages of scripture is also in Psalm 84: 5-7. Let me quote it for you and perhaps if you find yourself living in this fear, you should take the time to memorize these verses: "How blessed is the man whose strength is in Thee; In whose heart are the highways to Zion! Passing through the valley of Baca, they make it a spring, The early rain also covers it with blessings. They go from strength to strength. Every one of them appears before God in Zion." Look at the phrase "they make it a spring". When we pass through some of these trials God expects us to "dig a well" because there will be others passing this way in the future and they will need a cool refreshing drink as they go through the trial.

Where do you get your strength these days. "If God is for us, who can be against us"? Get up and go tell someone how much they are loved by God.

Dave

No comments: