Crazy Papa

Crazy Papa
I'll make 'um an offer

Monday, February 9, 2009

Character Always Matters

Tonight I was reading a passage of scripture in Hebrews and in chapter 13: 5 it says "Let your character be free from the love of money, being content with what you have for He Himself has said, I will never desert you, nor will I ever forsake you." Now I never have had a problem with money standing in the way of my character and I don't believe that will ever be a problem. In fact, I feel "doused" in character having lived the last 4 years on Social Security Disability Income (just my sense of humor being exposed)!

One of the main themes of the book of Hebrews is "consider". In Heb. 3:1 He is to be considered as the "Apostle and high Priest of our confession," and also in 12:3 He is to be considered as the "One who endured such hostility by sinners against Himself, so that you may not grow weary and lose heart" showing the ultimate life of faith.

I can see here where the author of Hebrews could have said "Consider this" prior to 13:5 as he warns that the love of money can be damaging to a persons character, so be content with what you have. Then the writer finishes this verse by referring back to the commissioning of Joshua, after the death of Moses as He says in Joshua 1:5 "...Just as I have been with Moses, I will be with you; I will not fail you or forsake you."

That's our God, gang. We may not understand all the "ins an outs" of life here but our God does and He is the One who promised to be by our side, NO MATTER WHAT! Oh sure, money is great and it can do wonderful things in our lives as we share with others, but we cannot allow it to get in the way of our faith in Christ. We cannot allow money to dictate the way we act or feel each day. We cannot spend all of our life looking for that "pot of gold" at the end of the rainbow. We need confidence in the fact that God IS our rainbow.

In a financial "crunch" today? Looks like someone knew about it long before you arrived! One of the greatest things about my life is that I "have" no money so it is "very" easy to manage. I owe my very life to the one who died so I might live.

Dave

No comments: