Crazy Papa

Crazy Papa
I'll make 'um an offer

Sunday, February 22, 2009

Ever Been Called A Name?

Remember when we were kids and someone called us a name. I can remember saying "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me". It wasn't necessarily very courageous but it kept me from getting my nose punched. Well the good Doctor Luke talks about names in today's scripture verse. It is Acts 4:12 and he says "And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no name under heaven that has been given among men, by which we must be saved."

So what difference does it make if someone calls us a name? Childish I suppose, but the first thing we do is put up our guard. I've been called a lot of names over the years and I'm still alive so that must mean that my childhood theory of "sticks and stones" is still intact. I've been called names that I cannot even mention either in the written word or spoken word. I been referred to as a liar, a cheat, a "dip-stick" and a hypocrite (that one hurts a lot because we never want to be seen in the light of hypocrisy, especially with God looking on), I've been called some of these names very recently, but they are just words. They have no spiritual value and they cannot hurt me.

I'll bet you didn't know that I was a cheat, a thief, a liar and a hypocrite but none of these names mean anything because of the name on which I have called for my salvation.

It is a fact that God loves me (Jn 3:16)
It is a fact that I am a sinner (Ro. 3:23)
It is a fact that I was dead in my sin (Ro. 6:23)

and it is a fact that because Jesus died for my sins I have been saved by the "only name under heaven that has been given among men, by which we must be saved"! Jesus Christ! I believe in Him so you can call me anything you want to but the only way to see me in eternity is to believe in the name that I believe in. Even my hypocrisy does not discount the "name of Jesus" in my life.

Do you continue to "ignore" the names people call you or are you waiting to get "punched" in the nose? It's gonna hurt. I'd consider the option the good Doctor offers here in Acts 4:12.

Also in Acts 10:43, Luke says of Him (Jesus) "...all the prophets bear witness that through His name everyone who believes in Him receives forgiveness of sins."

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but Jesus has saved my soul. You can believe it.

Dave

No comments: