Crazy Papa

Crazy Papa
I'll make 'um an offer

Friday, February 13, 2009

Be Strong And Courageous

"This book of the law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it; for then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have success. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go" (Joshua 1:8 & 9).

As we look into the book of Joshua we learn that he is continuing the history that Israel began in the Pentateuch and he shows God's faithfulness to His covenants with the patriarchs and the theocratic nation by settling the tribes in their promised homeland.

The name Joshua in its Hebrew form means "The Lord is salvation." As Israel enters and possesses Canaan it illustrates the Christian's spiritual experience of not only conflict but also victory an blessing through the power of God. Entering into the promised land also illustrates our spiritual rest in the finished work of Christ and in His intercession to enable us to conquer self and Satan (note from The Open Bible).

We have been commanded to meditate on the book of the law "day and night" so that we are careful to do as it says ..."according to all that is written in it..." And in verse 9 God reminds us that He wants us to be "Strong and Courageous" He doesn't want us to "tremble or be dismayed." We have no reason to fear because "the Lord our God is with you wherever you go." How could we possibly go wrong in simply abiding by His commands here?

I believe I have had a very significant reason to be fearful and tremble with fear and confusion, but I also believe that there are multiplied millions on this earth that have greater needs than mine, greater fears than mine, greater challenges than mine. I refuse to allow Satan any type of victory when God, so far back in time, with so precious a gift as Christ, secured the victory for me.

I may die before morning and then I may live another 15 years. I will try my best to live every moment in the renewing glory of God as my salvation. Can you think of a better goal than that?

Dave

No comments: