Crazy Papa

Crazy Papa
I'll make 'um an offer

Monday, February 2, 2009

"As You Wish"

"If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it shall be done for you" (John 15:7).

I have 4 grandchildren, two of which are older (13/10). They come and spend the night with Grammy Barb and I frequently and when they do, we usually plan either a dinner "out" that night or a breakfast the next morning. They know they can come to Grammy and Papa's house and get ANYTHING they want because we love them (and enjoy spoiling them a little).

My grandson's favorite breakfast place is IHOP's (International House of Pancakes) because he can always get a huge pancake with a funny face on it and lots of chocolate chips. He love this meal.

Now these kids know that when they come to our house that "the world is their oyster" however, they are always polite to us and (never wanting it to look like they have us wrapped around their little fingers) always ask if they can have a certain thing from the menu. They are just too precious. Now I have two other grandchildren that are a good bit younger (but we will spoil them just the same as time goes on).

I believe this is a good illustration for the above scripture because Jesus is saying that because we have Him living within us and we treasure His relationship, what do we want? Let me get it for you!. Now, if my grandson asked for snake venom for breakfast, naturally I would not let it be served to him. That kind of love applies in this scripture as well. I have never asked God to give me a Cadillac, but more than "plenty" of times I have asked Him for peace when I don't understand what is happening. A lot more, lately with sickness.

Our Lord wants to cover us with blessings every minute of every day and all He asks of us is that we just "ask." There are a lot of people going through very difficult times right now and our "Redeemer" just wants us to call on Him. Just like Grammy Barb and I know what is and is not good for our grandchildren, Jesus knows what is best for us. He simply says "ask"! Made any requests lately?

Dave

No comments: