Crazy Papa

Crazy Papa
I'll make 'um an offer

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Step Into The Light

The book of Philippians is one of my all time favorite books of the New Testament and tonight I am reading from Philippians 2:13-16. "...for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure. Do all things without grumbling or disputing; that you may prove yourselves to be blameless and innocent, children of God above reproach in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you appear as lights in the world, holding fast the word of life..."

One of the first things I notice about the beginning of this passage is that "God" is at work in our lives and not Satan. Sometimes we give Satan more credit than he deserves. In Luke 22:31,32 Jesus says "Simon, Simon, behold, Satan has demanded permission to sift you like wheat; but I have prayed for you, that your faith may not fail; and you, when once you have turned again, strengthen your brothers." It doesn't matter how difficult the trial or situation in our lives, God is ultimately the One in control of our lives for the sake of "His good pleasure." Remember that Satan has absolutely no power over you that isn't given to him by God and again "for His (God's) good pleasure." The successful journeys through life's trials makes God smile as He sees you strengthened by them.

The second thing is our "grumblings"! Someone said that if God takes you to it, then He will take you through it. Peter says in 1 Peter 4:9 "Be hospitable to one another without complaint." It is funny that I ALWAYS recognize the grumblings in my life. I am trying to show more appreciation to God in these "everyday" battles in life.

Only the heart of a Father can want us to live a blameless and innocent life in the middle of a crooked and perverse generation and in the process be a beacon of light.

Finally as Christian men and women, young and old, we hold fast to the "word of life" most of the time, out of sheer panic but ultimately for the sake of Christ. Remember back to the devotion called "Bridge Over Troubled Water"? That's one of the reasons we hold tightly to God and His Word for our life.

Paul says in verses 17 & 18 "But even if I am being poured out as a drink offering upon the sacrifice and service of your faith, I rejoice and share my joy with you all. And you too, I urge you, rejoice in the same way and share your joy with me."

Just like lifting weights strengthens muscles, trials strengthen faith. Step into the joy with me.

Dave

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am testing my "comment" response link.