Crazy Papa

Crazy Papa
I'll make 'um an offer

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Not A People-Pleaser

As I was reading through my scripture for today I made note of some things worthy of comment. I am in Romans 16:17-20. Four short verses that are packed with integrity and courage, fortitude and a tremendous amount of strength. Listen to verse 17... "Now I urge you, brethren, keep your eye on those who cause dissensions and hindrances contrary to the teaching which you learned, and turn away from them."

How did Paul know in the first century that we would need to hear about "teaching contrary to the Word of God" in the Twenty-First Century? But it is so true. So many pastors have sold out their pulpits for "easy believism." I know that, I have been there, I have experienced it. And when I took a stand for the God of the Bible, I was dropped "like a rock." And here in this first verse Paul urges us to keep an eye on "what's going on in our churches!" Absolutely incredible. A few years earlier in Galatians 1:8 Paul says to the churches in Galatia, "...even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to that which we have preached to you, let him be accursed." Could "Post Modernism" have been active even back when there were no "recliners" in the church? Incredible!

He goes on to say in verse 18 that "...such men are slaves, not of our Lord Christ but of their own appetites (or bellies); and by their smooth and flattering speech they deceive the hearts of the unsuspecting." I was so glad to be at a church last week in California where the Word of God is the integrity of the church and nothing comes before it or stands in its way (Harvest of Riverside). Our church is growing into that attitude and the world sees it, and recognizes it as a threat to their socially progressive ways of life and naturally, doesn't like it. But that's okay. Paul says, "as long as the Word is preached"!

"For the report of your obedience has reached to all; therefore I am rejoicing over you, but I want you to be wise in what is good, and innocent in what is evil" (Vs. 19). Here Paul give "props" to the churches who WILL NOT COMPROMISE THE GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST. That's where we are today. For the sake of the growth of the kingdom of God, WE CANNOT compromise the teaching and preaching of the gospel of Christ. It means EVERYTHING!

Two weeks ago a pastor stood at his pulpit here in Surprise, Arizona and admitted that he could never be among those who would "water down" for the sake of keeping the flock happy. And why? Because he reasoned to his congregation that he would be the one standing before God answering for those lost as a result of his "hindrances contrary to the teaching" of Jesus Christ.

Finally, Paul says "And the God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet. The grace of our Lord Jesus be with you." There's your promise for sharing your faith wihout compromise. God will soon CRUSH Satan under our feet.

I'm not a people-pleaser. I'm a Jesus teacher! What about you?

Dave

No comments: