Crazy Papa

Crazy Papa
I'll make 'um an offer

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Security Is Trust In The Lord

I was just thinking tonight that we have been hearing and talking a lot about "security" over the last several months. Whether or not you fall in line with the new Administration, everything that is happening in the world is causing the average, everyday person some fear and intimidation. I whole-hearted support the office of the President of the United States and I want everyone to know that fact, however, I believe that the man in office is and will fail miserably and mostly because he refers to himself as a Christian and is responding as anything but a Christian. Politics is not the purpose of this devotion but the illustration of the position of our country only confirms my text.

I am looking at Psalms 91:1-4 which reads "He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say to the Lord, 'My refuge and my fortress, My God, in whom I trust!' For it is He who delivers you from the snare of the trapper, and from the deadly pestilence. He will cover you with His pinions, and under His wings you may seek refuge; His faithfulness is a shield and bulwark."

All those who live their life in communion with God are safe under his protection, and will preserve a holy peace and security of mind all the time. When the verse says "He who dwells" I think of him who sits down beside God. And the next word "shelter makes me think of a secret place of the Most High God. This is where we abide, in the "shadow of the Almighty"

I found these thoughts in a commentary and I thought they said so much I just copied them onto the page. "It is the character of a true believer that dwells in the secret place of the Most High; he is at home in God, returns to God, and reposes in him as his rest; he acquaints himself with inward religion, and makes heart-work of the service of God, worships within the veil, and loves to be alone with God, to converse with him in solitude." (Matthew Henry).

I like that idea. It makes me feel good to get alone with God. My worship is not shared and consequently more intimate.

He went on to say, "It is the privilege and comfort of those that do so that they abide under the shadow of the Almighty; he shelters them, and comes between them and every thing that would annoy them, whether storm or sunshine. They shall not only have an admittance, but a residence, under God’s protection; he will be their rest and refuge forever"(Matthew Henry).

"He who delivers you from the snare of the trapper". Anyone you know ever been there. Perhaps you yourself. Just walking along in life, minding your own business and about to step in the "snare of the devil?" I know! I've been there. And I am so glad I have verses of scripture like these to lean on, to remind me that I dwell in the shelter of the only One who can save me.

Most of those who read my devotions probably believe that I just walk through life without a care in the world, just living day by day, happy as a lark! But my wife could tell you of some pretty dark days in my life. Kind of reminds me of a visiting pastor who said "One day at the end of my message a little girl came up to me. I reached out my arms and she willingly allowed me to pick her up. She kept staring just above my head. Finally I asked her what she was looking for. She said, I am trying to see your "Halo". At that very point, my eyes met my wife's eyes. The woman who picks up my dirty socks and underwear; the partner who sustains me in times not so good, and suddenly I didn't feel so "Godly".

It is indeed "His pinions (or wings) that cover and protect me. Are you there? If not, you need to find that dwelling place in your life.

Dave

No comments: