Crazy Papa

Crazy Papa
I'll make 'um an offer

Friday, March 6, 2009

Not Slaves But Free Men

As we all know, the Gospel of John emphasizes love and here in chapter 15:12-17, He helps his disciples understand their own relationship to one another. And we can take these verses to heart in our own lives as we are His disciples as well.

“This is My commandment, that you love one another, just as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this that one lay down his life for his friends. You are My friends, if you do what I command you. No longer do I call you slaves, for the slave does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I have heard from My Father I have made known to you. You did not choose Me, but I chose you, and appointed you, that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask of the Father in My name, He may give to you. This I command you, that you love one another.”

There is not a lot of commentary that needs to be said here for Jesus has said it all. In a very profound statement, He has released these disciples from the status of “slave” to a “friend of Jesus” which carries with it a very high reward.

Jesus came to earth at God’s bidding to do the will of the Father, which He referred to several times in the Gospels. Now, pay close attention to this next statement; Jesus has called YOU to do His bidding and that is to be his disciple. My sister-in-law is going through a discipleship class right now called Operation Timothy and I just love it. Just a few short years ago she was on a “fast track” to hell, and heard the Gospel of Christ from another disciple and God has turned her life around. Now she looks forward to leading others to our Lord and I am very proud of her.

You are NOT a slave; you are NOT a free man either. By accepting the invitation of Christ, you are a disciple of Christ chosen by God Himself to do His bidding here on earth. Now go and “bear fruit” for the Kingdom of God.

Dave

No comments: