Crazy Papa

Crazy Papa
I'll make 'um an offer

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Great Is Thy Faithfulness

The book of Lamentations is a book of elegies (a mournful, melancholy funeral song or a lament for the dead). It is really a beautiful book of poems and songs of lament and well worth the time invested in reading. The title "Lamentations" in the Hebrew means "Ah, how" or "Alas!" and out of the 5 chapters, the word "How" starts 3 of them (Chapters 1,2&4). In the Greek, the literal translation is "cry aloud" which is what is seen between both Lamentations and Jeremiah. Lamentations is also one of the 5 Scrolls read on important anniversary days in the Jewish faith (or at least it was back then). However, when it is read in Jewish celebration, verses 21 & 22 are reversed in chapter 5 so as to not make the book end on a negative note. Take a look at them and you will see what I mean. Just some history because I know lesser time is spent in this book of poems from God's Word.

I wanted to direct special attention to Lamentations 3:25&26 which says "The Lord is good to those who wait for Him, to the person who seeks Him. It is good that he waits silently for the salvation of the Lord." Here I can see that Jeremiah is warning use of the need for patience in life. Some things in life just take a long time to come to fruition and in his lament, he is responsible to let the people know that time is on God's side.

Jeremiah is seriously grieved with the affliction of Israel's loss and even in his deep sorrow he says in verse 22-24 "The Lord's lovingkindnesses indeed never cease, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; Great is Thy faithfulness. The Lord is my portion says my soul, Therefore I have hope in Him." I recognize this verse as a song I have sung in church before.

All of us have gone through some kind of serious loss in life, whether it be financial, physical, emotional or otherwise, it is our hearts that hurt through the ordeal and here we have a very biblical basis for "waiting on the Lord" and placing our brokeness in His hands. In fact, in Psalm 37:7 it says to "Rest in the Lord an wait patiently for Him..." Also two verses up in verse 5 it says "Commit your way to the Lord, Trust also in Him, an He will do it."

I cannot tell you how many caskets I have stood before, watching the family and seeing the enormous level of "loss" in their eyes. There are times when I don't know what to say. It is in those times that I just let God talk through me. Life is hard. And based on current events, it may get much harder. And we need the strength that only God can provide now more than ever before.

Let me challenge you to read through the book of Lamentations. Five little chapters that will allow you to grieve loss and rejoice in the promise of the coming of the Lord. Maranatha (Come quickly, Lord Jesus).

Dave

No comments: