Crazy Papa

Crazy Papa
I'll make 'um an offer

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Break Me, Then Use Me Lord

This morning I was reading an old and familiar passage of scripture and thought I would take a few minutes to share it with you along with the notes I have written in my Bible.

  • Claim God's Forgiveness

The 51st Psalm starts by saying in verse 1 "Be gracious to me, O God, according to Thy lovingkindness; According to the greatness of Thy compassion blot out my transgressions."
Everyday it seems I find a way to sin against the Father. I am reminded of Paul who says (Ro. 7:19) "For the good that I wish, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not wish."

  • Confess Your Transgressions

Verse 2 says, "Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity. And cleanse me from my sin. For I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me. Against Thee, Thee only, I have sinned, and done what is evil in thy sight, so that Thou are justified when Thou does speak, And blameless when Thou does judge"

And so David asks God to cleanse him of his sin. Mention them by name and claim responsibility for them. Then turn them over to God.

  • Construct New Patterns

Then down in verses 10-12 it says, "Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me away from Thy presence, and do not take Thy Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of Thy salvation, and sustain me with a willing spirit"

Here is where David found his renewal and restoration in God. A "clean heart" and a "steadfast spirit" are essential for developing strong life patterns.

  • Communicate My Change To Others

He goes on in verses 13-17 to say "Then I will teach transgressors Thy ways, and sinners will be converted to Thee. Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, Thou God of my salvation; Then my tongue will joyfully sing of Thy righteousness. O Lord, open my lips, that my mouth may declare thy praise. For Thou does not delight in sacrifice, otherwise I would give it; Thou are not pleased with burnt offering. The sacrifices of God are are a broken spirit; A broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou will not despise"

Here is when we are most successful in our witness and testimony to others in this world. When we are "broken" and "contrite" in heart. We make ourselves vulnerable to God so that He can use us as instruments for His kingdom.

Just as a sidebar and point of historical value, Psalm 51 is the chapter that King David wrote after Nathan the prophet came to him, after he had gone in to Bathsheba. Read the entire chapter and you can almost feel the heartbreak of King David as he falls "face first" in to God's forgiving hands. The story of David and Bathsheba can be found in 2 Samuel 11.

Dave

No comments: