Crazy Papa

Crazy Papa
I'll make 'um an offer

Saturday, March 28, 2009

The Blood That Forgives

"When He had taken a cup and given thanks, He gave it to them saying, Drink from it, all of you; for this is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for forgiveness of sins." (Matthew 26:27,28).

Here our Lord Jesus has instituted the covenant of the Lord's Supper. What I see here is that Jesus reaches almost back to the beginning by using the drink as an analogy of His blood. In Exodus 24:8 "Moses took the blood and sprinkled it on the people, and said, Behold the blood of the covenant, which the Lord has made with you in accordance with all these words." And also in Hebrews 9:22 it says... "without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness."

Jesus taught from the beginning of His ministry that the answer to the forgiveness of sin was the spilling of blood. All over the Bible you can find "the shedding of blood." So after Jesus had experienced the agonizing six hours on the cross, dying for the sins of the world, He reminds His disciples that His sacrifice, in shedding His blood, gave to them, and whoever would ask, eternal life in Him.

When life throws something at you that you just cannot understand, go back to the cross. When you can't quite wrap your brain around an unsuspected diagnosis, a financial difficulty, an unexplained tragedy, you need to go back to the cross where the blood was shed. This is the one that counts. This is the blood of the Savior. This is the blood that He referred to with His disciples when He said "for this is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for forgiveness of sins."

Sometimes the weight of the world gets to be too much for us to take, however, Jesus has given us "an out." He exclaimed "Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him, and will dine with him, and he with Me. He who overcomes, I will grant to him to sit down with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne."

Can you see the blood from where you are? You can learn more on my website at www.nowwhut.org.

Dave

No comments: