Crazy Papa

Crazy Papa
I'll make 'um an offer

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

That's A Big 10/4 Good Buddy

A whole lot of years ago, my brother-in-law and I became deeply involved in the "CB" movement. I call it a "movement" because I don't know what else to call it. We had CB radios in our cars, our vans, our homes. And we talked to everyone, all the time. We had fun at a few of their "CB Rallies" and even played a few practical jokes. Did I mention my handle? I was "The Mustard Seed!" Everyone who knew me through the circle of friends on the CB knew me as "The Mustard Seed!" My brother-in-law was "The Silver Dodge!" Now I think I need to explain his handle to you. He had a Silver Dodge. Yeah, that hard. That's why I explained it to you.

Anyway I was reading through the scriptures and came upon this verse in Matthew 17:20 which says, (Jesus speaking here)
"Because of the littleness of your faith; for truly I say to you, if you have faith as a mustard seed, you shall say to this mountain, Move from here to there, and it shall move; and nothing shall be impossible to you."

A few verses earlier a demoniac man had been brought to Jesus and the person bringing him said that he had taken the demoniac man to Jesus' disciples and they were not able to do anything about the man's demon. So Jesus says, "bring him to me, I'll do it!" And of course, Jesus rebukes the demon and he leaves the man.

The disciples are baffled and wondering about the powers they should have that have been given them by Jesus and so they ask "What's up with our powers?" And in verse 20 Jesus explains their difficulties. The whole purpose of Jesus' action is to get us to live by faith. Faith as small as a "mustard seed" can move mountains, but it must be real faith.

Even though in the 70's I was labeled "The Mustard Seed" it has taken literally decades for me to gain the faith of that seed. I have never physically moved a mountain from one place to another however, there have been plenty of mountains moved in my life. It would take a lifetime to tell you about those mountains but the point is that if you possess that same little seed of faith, there have been mountains moved in your lives too. Take a look back over your life and see if I'm not right.

Just a little grain of mustard seed is all that is needed in the Christian walk to create movement like Jesus Christ created. You trust Him with your life, and I promise you, He'll move mountains for yours.

Dave

No comments: