Crazy Papa

Crazy Papa
I'll make 'um an offer

Friday, May 22, 2009

He Is Able, So Able

Today God gave me this scripture verse to consider: "For since He Himself was tempted in that which He has suffered, He is able to come to the aid of those who are tempted" (Hebrews 2:18).

Over the last four years and during my treatment for Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma, I have spoken to and been approached by dozens of people who want to help me, wish to pray for me, desire to lay hands on me and even some who "understand what I am going through."

I have been overwhelmed by those who care and show concern for my medical condition. I have close friends I have never even met. I love the fact that people who have never laid eyes on me, know little about me, are willing to help, willing to pray, some people even send cards and "knitted angels" and even money. It is quite unbelievable that people so desire to minister even to those whom they have never met. But are you serious about "understanding what I am going through?" This is a very strong "Pet Peeve" of mine. I cannot deal with people who have never had marital difficulties, financial difficulties, health issues but will stand and say to you "I feel your pain; I know what you are going through and I am sorry." Oh, is that right? You HAD cancer and you KNOW what I am going through (light sarcasm)?

If you have never walked in my shoes, you have NO IDEA IN GOD'S GREEN EARTH what I am experiencing or going through. It's a bad statement and should be wiped from people's vocabulary if they have not experienced the dilemma they are trying to minister to. Please understand that I am not "upset" here; just trying to make a point.

In the above verse we are told that in order for Jesus Christ to "come to the aid of those who are tempted" that He must have to be tempted and suffer equally as we have and do today. Verse 17 says, "He had to be made (or was obligated to be) like His brethren in all things, that He might become a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people." Jesus suffered just as we do so that He may become "merciful and faithful." His ability to minister is NOT without understanding. Whatever sin, whatever trial, whatever issue you have in today's life, Jesus Christ suffered. So when verse 18 claims that "He is able to come to our aid" it is clear that He understands.

I've stood in front of caskets unable to find words that would console simply because I had not experienced the death of a loved one. So we do and say what we can but we just do not understand the pain, the suffering, the level of hurt that person is feeling and experiencing.

So the next time you get an opportunity to minister to someone who's problem you have no knowledge of, the best that you can do is put your arms around them and let them know that even though this trial is "unbearable" Jesus Christ understands your hurt.

It's been said that President Bill Clinton coined the phrase "I feel your pain" however, I can testify to you, based on the Word of God, that he does not know what he is talking about. But God does, and it is His love that we need to display to those who hurt and need to be held up.

I didn't make this quote although I wish I had. Listen to a statement made by Pastor Chuck Smith of Calvary Chapel and be blessed:

"I don't have to worry about falling; the eternal God, the Creator of the heaven and the earth holds me. He loves me. I'm His child. He sent His son in order to redeem me from my sin that He might make me an heir of His eternal kingdom. Oh, that God would grant to us a more complete comprehension of the depth of the riches of love that God extended towards us and continues to extend to us in and through Jesus Christ our Lord."

Dave

No comments: