Crazy Papa

Crazy Papa
I'll make 'um an offer

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Draw Near To God

Every time I sit down and begin to read from God's Word, He never fails to give me discernment on passages of scripture that He leads me to. It is very peaceful knowing that our God is working in our hearts and teaching us directly from His Word. I have a few commentaries however, I seldom ever get a chance to use them because God so wants to speak to us. For several years now I have been a strong fan of "Expository" preaching and teaching. For those who may not have a "handle" on what that is, it is a style of preaching or teaching when you teach straight from God's Word, verse by verse, using the wisdom given by God to proclaim His desires. I've heard so many people who believe that they are preaching and teaching ONLY the Bible, but in order to complete their teaching, they always seem to need a "word from mankind" to complete their thoughts.

I know that Ecclesiastes tells us that there "is no new thing under the sun" so with that understanding, I take the passage of scripture to the Lord and ask Him to interrupt for me. To date, He has been "most understanding" with me and I feel that He has taught me so much that I could have never "picked up" by reading someone else's thoughts.

Look at what the Lord's half brother, James says in the 4th chapter in verses 8 & 10: "Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Humble yourselves in the presence of the Lord, and He will exalt you."

Such wisdom can only come from our Father in heaven. Take the time to "absorb" the teaching from God's Word and see if He doesn't speak to your heart. Cleanse your heart and be ready and teachable. He is waiting to give you His Word.

Dave

No comments: