Crazy Papa

Crazy Papa
I'll make 'um an offer

Monday, October 18, 2010

Bible Names For Jesus Christ! "Advocate"

For more years than I can remember, I have been impressed with the many names given in God's Word for, not only God, but for Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit as well. I thought it might be nice to write a little about some of the names given to our God.

In our legal system, when you find yourself in trouble with the law, you acquire an attorney and you tell your attorney the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. It is important, no matter what the situation, that your attorney know what is the "absolute" truth of your case. This way, and this way only can the defendants attorney adequately represent his client.

That brings me to one of the names given to our Lord, Jesus Christ which is an "Advocate". I looked up the word Advocate in the dictionary and these are the main definitions I found: 1. a person who speaks or writes in support or defense of a person or cause; an advocate of peace. 2. a person who pleads for or in behalf of another; intercessor. 3. a person who pleads the cause of another in a court of law.

John the Apostle, in his very first epistle wrote "If we confess our sins, His is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness" (1 John 1:9 NIV). This is why, Christians MUST be honest with the Lord when we encounter sin, if it is our intention to have Him as our "Advocate.  Just one more thought:  Here is another scriptural truth about our heavenly "defense attorney" which says, "My little children, these things write I unto you, that you may not sin.  And if anyone sins, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous." (1 John 2:1 NASB)

Dave

No comments: