Crazy Papa

Crazy Papa
I'll make 'um an offer

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Bible Names For Jesus Christ: "God With Us"

When I think of the phrase "God with us" I think of the Christmas season because during this time of year, this name for Jesus Christ is one of the most popular.  It is actually the word "Immanuel" or "Emmanuel" and the name is foretold in Luke 1:31 where it is said: "And behold, you will conceive in your womb, and bear a son, and you shall name Him Jesus."  And of course, the name Jesus is referrenced back to Isaiah 7:14 which says, "Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold a virgin will be with child and bear a son, and she will call His name Immanuel."

Centuries before Joseph and Mary would even arrive on the scene, the prophet Isaiah would be proclaiming the name of Christ as Immanuel, God with us!  Matthew 1:23 actually gives us the literal translation "God with us."  What a celebration of a Savior arriving, "God with us!"  Are there times in your Christian walk when you feel so alone that you can hear absolutely nothing?  Remember "God with us"!  Immanuel/Emmanuel was the gift given to mankind with the reassurance that God is with us.  Kind of hard to overlook as a Christian brother or sister, huh?

Listen to this promise quoted from Psalm 139: 9,10 where David says, "If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me".  A couple of months ago a niece of mine wrote me an email asking me about "Eternal Security".  I wish I would have referred her to such a passage as this as it is so simply illustrated.

Naturally these promises of God were realized in His Son Jesus Christ, arriving as a little "babe in a manger" a normal human being, born of normal human parents to grow up around His people and hurt, bleed and cry with them, only to find His way, eventually to an old dirty rugged cross, to pay the ultimate sacrifice in order to be known as "God with us."  Can you close your eyes and see these truths?

And it is very fitting that the Gospel of Matthew begins with the confirmation that we have "God with us" (Immanuel/Emmanuel) and also fitting that the same Gospel should end with these words: "And lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the age"  (Matt. 2820).

I found this very fitting fourth century expression by Saint Patrick:  "Christ be beside me, Christ be before me, Christ be behind me, King of my heart;  Christ be within me, Christ be below me, Christ be above me, never to part.  Christ on my right hand, Christ on my left hand, Christ all around me, shield in the strife;  Christ in my sleeping, Christ in my sitting, Christ in my rising, light of my life."

Are you experiencing some difficulties tonight that you do not know how to work through?  Remember this promise from "God with us":  "I am with you and will rescue you" (Jeremiah 1:8)

Dave

No comments: