Crazy Papa

Crazy Papa
I'll make 'um an offer

Monday, January 19, 2009

The Helper, Holy Spirit, Comforter

There is a very small sentence in John 14:16 that says ..."I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper; that He may be with you forever."

John 14 has long been my favorite "comfort" in the Bible and it starts out by saying ..."Let not your heart be troubled; believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father's house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. And you know the way where I am going."

Now I promise you if you receive a diagnosis of cancer, one that the doctors will say is "treatable" but not curable, it will cause your mind to go off in a thousand different directions. So upon receiving that news, I immediately went back to this passage of scripture to be reminded, time and time again, that My God is greater than any diagnosis this doctor could possibly give me.

My Father, in Heaven, is preparing a place for me (and you, too). And when He has finished pounding the final nail, I will get to see it. Knowing that this 70 plus/minus years we are granted on earth is not the end, brings great joy to my heart. And it is the simple sentence in verse 16 where Jesus gives me the strength to continue day by day because He promised (even asking the Father) to send me a comforter, a helper, a Holy Spirit that would reside within me and give me strength and solitude for the days, weeks, months, and possibly, years to come.

I am truly grateful for my salvation and the promise that God has made to me. I have learned over the years that when you CANNOT trust anyone or anything else in life, YOU CAN TRUST GOD!

He continues in verse 17 to say that it ..."is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive..." You see, Jesus made that promise only to you and me. The world, short of salvation cannot receive this gift, it is reserved for those of us who have invited Christ to live in our hearts and lives.

Have you made that decision today? You can! And you can understand it. At the link www.nowwhut.org/4spiritual laws.htm there is a very easy to understand explanation of God's Plan for you. If you haven't read it, you might want to take a minute to do so.

Dave

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your blog. I just started mine too. I'll be visiting from now on.