Crazy Papa

Crazy Papa
I'll make 'um an offer

Friday, June 4, 2010

My Abba, Father Relationship

When I was a child growing up in my parent's home, it would always be my Father who would have the ultimate say in what we, as children, could and could not do. So when we had a request we would always take it to him.

Just like any other kids on the block, we would try to find a way to "butter" up Dad and then spring our request on him. My dad was an "easy going" kind of Father and it was not usually hard to get him to agree with what we wanted.

In Matthew 6:9b is says "Our Father who art in heaven..." which helps us designate just exactly what our relationship to God is (as our heavenly Father) and in our spiritual upkeep, it is to Him that we go to make our requests known. "Our Father" the one we look to has "Abba" our daddy in our spiritual life, and then "who art in heaven" which is the designation of where our ultimate Father resides. Then when we have His attention, we make our requests known to him.

Seems like a sensible development of our relationship to the Father, and when we have this close, intimate relationship, then we have a right to make requests of Him. Of course, He is the one who carries the ultimate answers to our requests, but the more we go to the Father, the closer and more intimate our relationship becomes.

I was sharing with my brother-in-law after dinner tonight about my love and desire to write about God and show application to different scripture verses. It has become a habit and a good one at that. I am constantly looking at scripture and offering my opinion of each. These opinions are just that, "my opinions". I don't try to get too deep into God's Word I don't develop my opinions by what some "commentary" has to say so as not to confuse anyone, but rather offer only my thoughts about passages that God reveals to me.

Today I can say with confidence that my relationship with my heavenly Father is as good, if not better than my relationship with my earthly father and I believe that is as it should be.

I miss my dad as he passed away in 2002, but I am comforted to know that my heavenly Father is there to respond to all of my requests anytime I wish to call upon him. Can you claim "[My] Father who art in heaven?"

Dave

No comments: