Crazy Papa

Crazy Papa
I'll make 'um an offer

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Can I Intercede For You?

Over the last couple of weeks while Barb and I were enjoying out of state family, the beach and beautiful mountain country of Temecula, California, I have been writing little "snippets" having to do with the "Lord's Prayer" in Matthew chapter 6. In this chapter, Jesus had a lot to tell us about "how to pray" and as we all read it in our own way, hopefully, we have all learned some constructive steps toward better communication with God.

Finally tonight I want to back up to verse 10 where Jesus says, "Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven." In these last few devotions we have learned several steps in the praying process. We have acknowledged our "relationship" with the Father as we quoted "Our Father which art in heaven"; We found a new and magnificent ways to worship Him as we read in Acts 4:24 "Lord, You are God, who made heaven and earth and the sea, and all that is in them." And we also understood the intimate importance of confession as we heard the Lord say to us, "Everyone therefore who shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven (what a wonderful life giving promise from the creator)." And finally we set aside our "humility" as we learned how to petition our heavenly Father as He wants to step in and help us daily if and when we just simply call upon Him.

And as we turn finally to verse 10 we find the strength, courage, love and admiration for God to "intercede" for all the saints who are in need of a touch from God today. I believe that we can all agree that Paul was the "absolute" in intercessory prayer. As he ministered, he prayed, with anyone, for anyone, about anyone who crossed his path or his mind. And it was Paul who said in Romans 1:9 & 10, "For God, whom I serve in my spirit in the preaching of the gospel of His son, is my witness as to how unceasingly I make mention of you always in my prayers, making request, if perhaps now at last by the will of God I may succeed in coming to you."

We, those of us who will die with the "confession" of God on our lips, we have been to heaven in these times of devotion. Devotion to Him and His dedication and love to us for EVER!

I think that the best way to bring this series of devotions to a close is to go to Romans 1:16 where Paul says, "For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek." Paul could not muster up that level of courage and strength on his feet. And that is why, on the road to Damascus, Jesus brought him to his knees, and he's been there ever since.

I pray that we can all find our "road to Damascus" and fall to our knees before the Almighty.

Dave

(A great amount of influence for these devotions on "The Lord's Prayer" have come from a book written by Chuck Smith of Calvary Chapel entitled, "The Man God Uses." Any direct quotes have been recognized).

No comments: