Crazy Papa

Crazy Papa
I'll make 'um an offer

Friday, August 14, 2009

Feel Like I've Been Beat With Rods!

Today I went in for my bone marrow biopsy and when I got there I found the doctor to be behind (always the case with a doctor) and he did not have time to use sedation on my biopsy so he offered to reschedule me for next week. I determined that already being there was half the battle so I suggested that we just continue.

Did I mention it hurts a little bit? Anyway we proceeded and they were all very nice and the test results will be back in a week or so. While I was having the procedure it made me think of Paul when he takes the time to defend his Apostleship in 2 Corinthians 11:21ff and he says:

"To my shame I must say that we have been weak by comparison. But in whatever respect anyone else is bold (I speak in foolishness), I am just as bold myself. Are they Hebrews? So am I. Are they Israelites? So am I. Are they descendants of Abraham? So am I. Are they servants of Christ? (I speak as if insane) I more so; in far more labors, in far more imprisonments, beaten times without number, often in danger of death. Five times I received from the Jews thirty-nine lashes. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, a night and a day I have spent in the deep. I have been on frequent journeys, in dangers from rivers, dangers from robbers, dangers from my countrymen, dangers from the Gentiles, dangers in the city, dangers in the wilderness, dangers on the sea, dangers among false brethren; I have been in labor and hardship, through many sleepless nights, in hunger and thirst, often without food, in cold and exposure. Apart from such external things, there is the daily pressure upon me of concern for all the churches. Who is weak without my being weak? Who is led into sin without my intense concern? If I have to boast, I will boast of what pertains to my weakness. The God and Father of the Lord Jesus, He who is blessed forever, knows that I am not lying. In Damascus the ethnarch under Aretas the king was guarding the city of the Damascenes in order to seize me, and I was let down in a basket through a window in the wall, and so escaped his hands." (vss. 21-33)

I refer to these verses as a portion of the resume of the Apostle Paul. I have gone through some pain both physically and emotionally, however, I do not, in any fashion "stack up" to the difficulties that I read from my good friend Paul. They wanted to put a long, thick needle in my back so they could draw out bone marrow to determine to what degree the cancer had returned and they offered no sedation. I hurt from the procedure but I cannot come close to equating to the hurt both physically and emotionally that is printed above from the scriptures.

I would be proud someday for someone to read of such a "resume" concerning my life as a Christian, suffering for the cause of Christ. How proud I am that I know of this man named Paul who was willing to suffer these difficulties in life so that he could reach the world for the sake of Christ Jesus. His crown should naturally be filled with precious jewels.

I think it is necessary for us, as we walk through our life, to work toward and develop just such a "resume" for our lives. In most cases, difficulties of this magnitude will never be reached (thank God) but we need to be ready to share the trials that were the "strengthening" part of our Christian life. The things that caused us to continue to take steps forward as we desired to please God and share the Love of Christ with the world.

I can say (and I speak the same foolishness) that while my back was being poked with a long rounded needle, and I was NOT sedated, I spoke the truth of the Gospel of Christ to those in the room, including my doctor. They find themselves amazed that during such a trial, one like Paul, was concerned for their eternity.

Dave

No comments: