Crazy Papa

Crazy Papa
I'll make 'um an offer

Saturday, November 3, 2007

Trust In The Lord


One of the first passages of scripture I memorized as a new Christian, over 30 years ago was Proverbs 3:5,6 which reads "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight".

Never has that passage been more applicable in my life than in the last 5 years or so. On a daily basis, we as Christian men and women, see things happen, not only in our own lives but in the lives of those we love dearly, not being able to help or understand why. So the Lord tells us to "Lean". Lean on what? Lean on Him and not trust our own understanding because His is divine and ours is not. So when we just simply don't understand, we can know that He is directing our paths. I confess that I need a lot of direction in my life. But there is one thing that I understand very clearly. That is that God has my "best interest" at heart and He will not direct me into a path that will not eventually give Him the glory.

The writer goes on to say "Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the Lord and turn away from evil. It will be healing to your body, and refreshment to your bones". I have spent plenty of years being "wise in my own estimation" or so I have thought. But when I play the way the Lord intended me to, I receive healing. Not the kind of healing that I expect sometimes, but healing in my spirit and a closeness with God. Want to be close to God? Do not consider your wisdom above God.

In one of my favorite books the author says to "Anchor Deep". His analogy is a sailboat but his subject is faith in God. He says "Stability in a storm comes not from seeking a new message but from understanding an old one. The most reliable anchor points are not recent discoveries, but are time-tested truths that have held their ground against the winds of change. Truths like: My life is not futile; My failures are not fatal; My death is not final. Attach your soul to these boulders and no wave is big enough to wash you under" (Six Hours One Friday by Max Lucado). Change comes into our lives almost daily. Trust in the Lord.

Have a great day today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dave, your last two blog entries have been especially timely for me-an encouragement and change of focus I really needed. Thank you!! I'm praying this blog touches many lives.
Mimi