Crazy Papa

Crazy Papa
I'll make 'um an offer

Sunday, November 4, 2007

A Father's Advice

"Hear, O sons, the instruction of a father, and give attention that you may gain understanding", (Proverbs 4:1)

Ever feel that you have passed on your father's advice because you feel a need to achieve something that his advise suggests passing on? I have! My father has given me "sound teaching" and I have turned my head not wanting to receive the understanding. But I remember that my father would always tell me to "hold fast to his words...that I might keep the commandments and live", (Pr. 4:4)

I consider myself intelligent and understand most things. Problem is that I don't always wait on the "wisdom" to fall from perhaps advice given prior to acting. I don't always make decisions using the wisdom that God has promised me. My body hurts from the pain over the sickness and injury, and I am anxious to find a solution "in my own understanding". But there is so much of Proverbs 4 that tells us that the person who waits on wisdom will eventually make the correct decision. I always find myself looking to the problem and not through the problem to see the wisdom on the other side.

Here Solomon uses the analogy of a wife to make his point. Verses 13ff say "Take hold of instruction; do not let go. Guard her, for she is your life. Do not enter the path of the wicked, and do not proceed in the way of evil men. Avoid it, do not pass by it; Turn away from it and pass on. For they cannot sleep unless they do evil; and they are robbed of sleep unless they make someone stumble".

Just think! Taking the time to look at our daily life situations with "Wisdom" can keep us from stumbling! I don't know about all of you, but I have enough scabs on my knees from stumbling in the misunderstanding of my life events. I trust God and desire to wait on His wisdom for me. How about you?


God's very best,

Dave

No comments: