Crazy Papa

Crazy Papa
I'll make 'um an offer

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Ever Wonder About Crowns In Heaven?

Here's an interesting point of view:  In the final day, as we stand before Christ He will not be saying "Well done, good and successful servant."  No, He will say, "Well done, good and faithful servant..."

When we reach that day of judgement our acts on earth will NOT be judged on how successful we were in the tasks we handled for the Lord, so much as we will be judged for our faithfulness to Him and His call. 

*A crown of rejoicing:  Paul wrote to the Thessalonians, "For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing?  Is it not even you in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at His coming?  For you are our glory and joy" (1 Thess. 2:19-20).   Isn't it awesome when you read and realize that one of our crowns in heaven will be that of ourselves within the presence of the Lord.  He will be so proud for all of your efforts.  Again, success is not the issue but rather the faithfulness to follow His command.

*A crown of life:  James wrote in James 1:12, "Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him".  This would be the crown promised to the man or woman who has resisted temptation and has patiently endured testing and trials.  There are people who suffer from physical infirmities or bad marriages or poverty or emotional trials that are no fault of their own.  Others suffer for their testimony of Jesus Christ in different parts of the world.  I kinda feel like I may fit into this category and maybe get a crown like this because most of the time I feel like I look like a "burnt match stick" from all the medical problems, blood draws, transfusions, tests, x-rays, chemotherapy and all that stuff.  And sometimes it is very hard for me to hold my face up and glorify God, however I can say with assurance that I have done my very best.   It's like God is saying, "I have a special crown for you who have endured difficult situations and consistently resisted temptation."

*A crown of righteousness:  Shortly before Paul was executed in a Roman dungeon, he wrote these words to his good friend Timothy:  "The time of my departure is at hand.  I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.  Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing" (2 Tim. 4:6-8).  I think this crown will go out to those who specifically served God with a heart looking toward heaven.

Do you long for the return of Jesus Christ our Lord?  If so, I believe that there is a crown waiting for you.  There is also a crown waiting for you if you have remained faithful to the Lord, and finished the race he set out before you.  I am slow and continuing to get slower, however, I will remain on the race track until I have "finished the race" regardless of the place in which I finish.  My hearts desire and God's prompting is to finish the race.

So make every day of your life count folks.  Keep one of your feet in heaven and the other on the earth, and be ready to meet your God.  He's coming soon!

Dave
*excerpts from "Signs of the Times" by Pastor Greg Laurie.

No comments: