Crazy Papa

Crazy Papa
I'll make 'um an offer

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Forgive My Unbelief

I suppose some of you have noticed that I appear to have "writers cramps" or "writers block" because my last post was August 30th but I have been doing some serious "sleeping" over the past few days. It has to do with my blood counts. I can be wide awake and suddenly, and without notice, find myself slumped over sound asleep. I'm sure the doctors will do something, eventually to try to help (being very optimistic).

Anyway, I was awaken a 4 AM this morning by a thought from God and wanted to take a few minutes to share a subject that none of us like at all. And it's kind of weird because the thoughts that God woke me with were concerning a message I heard over 30 years ago by Pastor Chuck Swindoll and the subject continues to resonate in my head even after all these years. I suppose it is because it is seen in the church and within the Christian community so much these days. Let me share his illustration:

"I knew of a young man who served in the armed forces who went to war and got both of his legs blown off in battle and he was in the hospital being nursed back to health and eventually he and his nurse fell in love and got married. As life went on, they had three little girls and they decided that they should take these girls to Church and Sunday School so they could learn about God and so they went and he said, 'I notice that week after week as I looked out the window, I continually saw my girls playing "red rover" and after a while I thought to myself, we are not learning about sin or hell. We are not being taught about the penalties of our wrongdoings. And then he made this most insightful comment: "These people are going to love us right into hell". (Charles Swindoll - early 1970's - paraphrased).

When God woke me us with this thought, it caused me to wonder why He has felt it necessary for that particular message to stick in my head so vividly over all these years and the last few weeks have shown me why.

The man in this illustration was making an informed "judgement" call based on what he was receiving or not receiving from his church fellowship. And I notice this in our Christian walk today. I see Christian after Christian (including myself) misusing the very Words of God for the purpose of "puffing themselves" up and making them look "important" and "relevant" in the sight of mankind. And it causes me to ask: "Who are we trying to please?" Is it God or Man? I see Christian men and women attempting to increase the size of their popularity, especially on the Internet (i.e. Facebook, MySpace, Twitter - and many other methods). and they seem to just want to increase the size of their audience but once they have achieved a great number of listeners, don't bother to tell the truth. They simply boast about how much they do and how great they are. You know the kind; in fact, perhaps I have fallen into this category a time or two. They want you to tell your friends to listen in or become a fan of them or something they represent, however when this happens, they do not espouse the truth of God, they simple deposit little "nuggets" of interest that keep them coming back the next time to see what will be said next.

I have noticed that there is seldom ever a comment about hell or death or judgement which, if we are honest, this is what we need to know about so we can live our lives steering clear of these issues. The Internet offers the greatest number of searching people in the world for us to share Christ with and most of what we see is how "I did this, or he did that, and boy it was awesome" "The church was blown away by this awesome pastor" or "he really knocked my socks off today"! But how many time do you read that from this persons mouth or that persons mouth, "God really delivered a blessing to my life today. God truly said something to me today that I had never thought of before and because of that, I need to change some things in my life"!

It seems to me that it is never about God anymore but about the person or group who is presenting the message. "Oh this is a wonderful pastor, he gives me ""goosebumps" when he speaks" or perhaps "this guy is hilarious, he always leaves me laughing. Credit to God seems to get farther and farther away as we accumulate friends and want to popularize ourselves. We seem to want to tell everyone to be "Blessed by God" but we never offer any reason why we should be entitled to the blessing.

This is strictly my own opinion and it really means nothing other than to me and God, but I don't see those who are filling the pages of these Internet sights with the "Judgment of God". Like the soldier said, We're not hearing about sin or hell (by the way, hell is just as real as heaven). We're not hearing about the truth of God, but we know how many people showed up for a Bar-b-que at so-in-so's place last week.

Now some of you will read this and the first thing you will say is that I am passing judgment on others when I have several fingers pointing back to myself. Well to that I say, I'm in the club with you. I use the Internet alot and even though I constantly espouse God from these writing, I still don't spend enough time explaining the importance of Salvation and why we need it. I'm not trying to get under any one's skin. I am trying to tell you what I see with my heart and how we as a community of believers are failing God by not sharing the truth of God, but rather sharing with everyone how much fun we are having with each other. Remember how the disciples began to "scatter" after the Holy Spirit had come upon them? They had a burning sensation in their hearts that could not be quenched without going out and telling others about God.

Listen to what James says in chapter 3:1-5 "Let not many of you become teachers, my brethren, knowing that as such we shall incur a stricter judgment. For we all stumble in many ways. If anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to bridle the whole body as well. Now if we put the bits into the horses' mouths so that they may obey us, we direct their entire body as well. Behold, the ships also, though they are so great and are driven by strong winds, are still directed by a very small rudder, wherever the inclination of the pilot desires. So also the tongue is a small part of the body, and yet it boasts of great things. Behold, how great a forest is set aflame by such a small fire!"

Are you telling others about God, truly, or are you building a fan club for yourself? I feel confident that God did not call me to see how many fans I could accumulate on the Internet but rather to ride through the streets like Paul Revere when he shouted "The British are coming". I want you to know that "The King Is Coming" and His judgment will be quick. I want you to know that hell is real, just as real as heaven and a day will come when you will reside in one of these places. I want you to know that Satan is alive and is fighting a very intense battle for your very soul. And if he can sidetrack you, even though you are a Christian, he can keep you from your obligation to Christ. Satan is just a "fallen angel" a creation of God just like you. The only difference is that we are "CHILDREN OF THE KING"! And He is looking for us to act the part.

Facebook, MySpace, and Twitter, along with thousands of blogs are GREAT tools to be used for God's Glory. The question is, "Who's gettin' the glory?"

God forgive my timidity and grant me the strength to ALWAYS share Your truth. "I do believe; help my unbelief" (Mark 9:24b)

Dave

No comments: