Crazy Papa

Crazy Papa
I'll make 'um an offer

Monday, July 6, 2009

The Epistle Of Paul To Philemon-Part VI

Conclusion: continued from yesterday

Verses 21-25

"Having confidence in your obedience, I write to you, since I know that you will do even more than what I say. And at the same time also prepare me a lodging; for I hope that through your prayers I shall be given to you. Epaphras, my fellow prisoner in Christ Jesus, greets you, as do Mark, Aristarchus, Demas, Luke, my fellow workers. The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit."

So we find in this very small letter to probably, a very small church body, that Onesimus has spent some time, not only with Paul but also with the Lord and the Lord has won him over. Paul is confident that his young church leader (Philemon) will see to his request of love and obedience for Christ Jesus and so Paul asks him to also make arrangements for him to come and be blessed with their fellowship.

What is not written in the Word of God, but discovered through extensive study and historic insight is that this letter to Philemon was put into the hands of the "once slave" Onesimus to deliver personally to his former master, Philemon. I'm wondering how tough that might have been. Probably would have been just as easy for Onesimus to take the letter and travel in the opposite direction. It took courage that only the Lord could have given in order for Onesimus to follow that path back to his former master's home. It is that kind of courage that God gives to each one of us as we travel through life experiencing the trials and storms of life. I have personally experienced some rather large trials in my life and I know myself very well. What I can't see in the dark, scares me to death. However, the Lord, living in my heart, has given me a kind of peace over my life that I cannot (no matter how much I study and strengthen my brain power) explain. All I know is that Jesus Christ loved me enough to travel for 33 years to a cross on Calvary to see that I need not fear. And I don't.

Paul takes the time, in his letter to mention the others who suffer with him, sort of like reporting where all the other brothers are, just in case you were wondering. They were right there with Paul, doing the ministry of God with the love of Christ in them all.

I don't ever want to spend time in jail, but more importantly, I do not want anything to do with this world without the love of Christ in my heart.

This is the last chapter of my point of view on The Epistle Of Paul To Philemon. I hope it has been informative and that it leads to other works of like kind. If you have gleaned something from this work, please do me a favor and pass it on to someone else. We all know people who could use hearing about the love of God and be presented to Jesus Christ for their eternal salvation. You don't owe me anything, so it shouldn't cost too much to do as I ask you.

These thoughts on Philemon were my own and not taken from any other book written by man. This is what I have received by my study of this letter in God's Word. I hope you enjoy it.

Dave

No comments: