Crazy Papa

Crazy Papa
I'll make 'um an offer

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Feel Like You've Been "Rode Hard And Put Away Wet"?

Have you ever felt like an "old baseball glove"?  I'm talking about a old glove that maybe Babe Ruth inherited way back when he was just a child.  People ever treat you like "shoe leather"?  Well it happens every day in our lives.  Perhaps people don't mean to treat you that way, but that's the way they come over as they communicate with you.  You're just an old, no good, worn out glove, no longer usable in today's game.

Listen to this passage of scripture: "...in far more labors, in far more imprisonments, beaten times without number, often in danger of death.  Five times I received from the Jews thirty-nine lashes.  Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, a night and a day I have spent in the deep.  I have been on frequent journeys, in dangers from rivers, dangers from robbers, dangers from my countrymen, dangers from the Gentiles, dangers in the city, dangers in the wilderness, dangers on the sea, dangers among false brethren;  I have been in labor and hardship, through many sleepless nights, in hunger and thirst, often without food, in cold and exposure.  Apart from such external things, there is the daily pressure upon me of concern for all the churches.  Who is weak without my being weak?  Who is led into sin without my intense concern?  If I have to boast, I will boast of what pertains to my weakness..."  (2 Corinthians 11:25 and following).   This is Paul as he describes all of the different events in his life that could have made him feel like an "old baseball glove."  No longer valuable to mankind or useful for the purposes of God.

You ever feel that, "used and abused" by friends and loved ones?  I've felt like that on occasion.  I do, however have a better understanding of God's purpose for me and He values me far more so than an "old baseball glove." 

So just remember when people are hurtful (and sometimes they don't realize it) that God's purpose for you is a purpose that He knows that only you can achieve for His glory.  So reject the treatment, ask God to forgive their attitude and "journey on" just as Paul did after all these things happened to him.  You see, you are so much more important to God than some "old baseball glove" that perhaps someone else is treating you like.

God loves you with everything He used for Creation.  Don't ever lose sight of that fact.  It's easy to get alone and feel sorry for yourself, especially when treated bad by mean spirited people.  Hold your head up and remember that you haven't yet been "beaten with rods" or "left bobbing in the sea over night" or in constant danger from EVERYTHING.

The spirit within you is the light illuminating from God's heart.  Enjoy it.  Also remember that when Paul stood before King Agrippa his comment went something like this:  "I would to God, that whether in a short time or long time, not only you, but also all who hear me this day, might become such as I am, except for these chains" (Acts 26:29).  Even when tied down with chains, Paul's purpose while living, was to share the love of God, NO MATTER WHAT!

Dave

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear bro-in-Christ, ..unfortunately I do feel like "alone, and sorry.." after being treated by mean spirited people. But I am hoping with encouragement (much like yours, people going on and on saying "dont think this way!!") and also reminders (as you did too) of God, that I would keep on walking-on, still.. I pray that we Christians can still live in peace, it has been about six years already the family is always fighting.. I have yet to rest, for a while now.. I do hope and pray for some good things, good days.

Dave said...

Jules...Thanks for your comments and wonderful words of encouragement. We live in a world that just does not understand a perticular type of trial unless they experience it themselves. It's not their fault, however they just don't know what to do or how the can try to "fix" it. I just want to know from them, that they can feel some of our discomfort and let me know they are praying. That is good enough for me. I've stayed VERY "upbeat" over the last 5 years and right now I am very tired. Would like to go somewhere and just lay flat on my back for about 6 weeks and not even move or try to explain anything to anyone. I pray for you and thank you again for your kind words.

Dave