Crazy Papa

Crazy Papa
I'll make 'um an offer

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Is There No More Humility?

Tonight I was reading from God's Word and came across Mark 14:65 and after reading it, my thoughts were "Where has the humility gone?"  We live in a society that has to constantly lay out a "resume" of our deeds, our accomplishments, our victories as though we were applying for a job.   Seldom anymore do we see men of great humility, allowing God to receive His glory, but rather, mankind seems to want to be seen AND heard, regardless of who's personality is amplified.

Mark 14:65 says "And some began to spit at Him, and to blindfold Him, and to beat Him with their fists, and to say to Him, 'Prophesy!'  And the officers received Him with slaps in the face."  Just look at the way our Lord and Savior was received by the Roman Guard and the citizens of the court.  Look at the humility shown by our Lord, as they continued to brutally punished Him, with His only crime being that He claimed to be God. 

Then see the "humility" as in John 19 it says, "Then Pilate therefore took Jesus, and scourged Him.  And the soldiers wove a crown of thorns and put it on His head, and arrayed Him in a purple robe; and they began to come up to Him, and say, 'Hail, King of the Jews!'  and to give Him blows in the face."   As I read these scriptures I don't see any pride whatsoever in our Lord but rather the absolute humility of God in the form of a man.

I see so many people promoting themselves or their agenda, mostly in the name of God, but for their benefit.  I see no humility in most of the words I read today.  I certainly don't see anyone "hiding behind the cross" for the glory of God.  They all seem to be standing "in front of the cross" trying to get everyone to listen to them promote themselves.  Even I have been guilty of a lack of humility in the past, but now I "live" behind the cross of Christ ("He must increase but I must decrease." John 3:30, John the Baptist speaking).
I remember reading what Peter said to the lifelong lame man in Acts 3:6, "I do not possess silver and gold, but what I do have I give to you; in the name of Jesus Christ the Nazarene -- walk!"    On January 28, 1985 NASA experienced such a massive disaster it caused our President to reflect on these words about those astronauts who lost their lives, "...they slipped through the surly bonds of heaven to touch the face of God."  Even with an opportunity to achieve political posturing, we see our President, Ronald Reagan showing humility as he hid himself behind the "face of God" in sharing the grief of a Nation.

You (those of you who know the Christ) are perfectly made, by the hand of God and are not required to "blow your own horn" at anytime in this life.  In fact, His command to us was to "blow His horn"  loudly and clearly, so that others would recognize His grace.  Humility is a good thing.

Dave

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Hi Dave, I don't know you but...
I was using the "next blog" button and your blog came up. After reading your "About me" I have to tell you that I'm crying as I write this. Not crying for you, if that makes sense but for your strength and boldness and positive attitude to persevere through your trials. (your playlist isn't helping my tears either :) But I just wanted to send you a note saying that your bio challenged me to be positive and rely on God through any tribulation in this life. We sometimes need to be reminded that God is our only strength. I hope you see great things happen in your ministry to those going through chemo and that you and your family will have many years together, because by His stripes you ARE HEALED! Blessings
Amanda

Dave Stallings said...

Amanda,

Thanks for your gracious comments concerning my blog. My job is simply to tell it the way God says it. He is my only source of strength and has granted me an extremely large amount of faith to deal with life's trials. I am convinced that His time for me is "fixed" and He is in total control so we, as believers in Christ, do not dwell on what is to come but rather what there is to be done in the meantime. God bless you and your family. I hope to hear from you again sometime.

Dave

atypicalpastorswife said...

Dave,

Enjoyed your post on humility! I thought you might enjoy a book suggestion. "Humility" by Andrew Murray is the best book I have ever read on the subject of humility. It changed my life. May God bless you and heal you so that your life can further glorify Him and advance His Kingdom!