Crazy Papa

Crazy Papa
I'll make 'um an offer

Monday, October 5, 2009

You Are My Disciples

A passage of scripture that recently crossed my mind is John 13:34,35 and it is Jesus speaking. Here's what He has to say: "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

A couple of questions: How do we do this? Where does the strength come from in order for us to accomplish this task with each other? I know people in this world that are very "unlovely" and I know also that I am sometimes "unlovely." Not being humble, just truthful. So what's the secret to this "love for one another?" I cannot live by the Old Testament law, that's for sure, but neither can I seem to live by this one either. What is the "sting" that keeps this action from me everyday of my life? There always seems to be people coming into and out of my life that I just don't love! Pretty harsh statement, huh? Well, you have them too. So why do I continue to allow Satan to have this much power over me - he is "nothing" in my life. He has no power that I do not surrender to him.

Here is the power we have been given by Jesus Christ while we attempt to "love one another" and it is in Acts 26:27-29 which says, "King Agrippa, do you believe the Prophets? I know that you do." And Agrippa replied to Paul, "In a short time you will persuade me to become a Christian." And Paul said, "I would to God, that whether in a short or long time, not only you but also all who hear me this day, might become such as I am, except for these chains."

This attitude is the answer to the questions I asked above. How do we do this thing; people are so "unlovely?" We take the position of Paul, standing before an earthly king, speaking on behalf of his life and saying "I wish that your spirit was free, like mine, without these chains that physically bind me." In other words, my heart wants you to know my Savior. You want to kill me; I want you to know the real King.

A couple of weeks ago the worship team at church sang these words to a song I am sure you will recognize: "Take me in to the Holy of Holies; Take me in by the blood of the Lamb; Take the coal, touch my lips, Here I am!" We can also find this surrender in Isaiah 6:8 where the Prophet says: "I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, Here am I; send me."

Here am I, Lord (Dave); send me, send me, send me!" Help me to live this new commandment through You.

Dave

No comments: