Crazy Papa

Crazy Papa
I'll make 'um an offer

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Joseph And His Varicolored Tunic

I've been thinking about my siblings a lot lately, and it prompted me to, once again go over the story of Joseph in the book of Genesis. The story begins in chapter 37 and it ends to book. Most of you know the story about Joseph having his dream and trying to share it with his siblings and they were angry with him because they supposed they would have to "bow down" to him at some point in life.

Anyway, to relieve themselves of this problem they threw him in a deep pit, took his multi-colored tunic and after they slaughter a male goat, they dipped the coat in its blood so they could take it to their father and prove that Joseph was dead.

Problem was that their story of Joseph's death was the "first" lie and we all know that when you tell a lie, you have to tell several others in the process of covering up that lie. Anyway, I won't try to take up all the pages to tell the entire story except to say that even though Joseph experienced some terrible difficulties, God never removed His hand from Joseph and at the end his brother's and Father did, indeed, bow down to him not even realizing who he was and it was the heart of Joseph, tendered and fashioned by God, that made sure that they were cared for.

It is a sad and difficult story to read but I seem to be able to relate to it very well. I feel so alone some times in my life today. Oh, my kids and grandkids keep me busy and love me and are "always" all over me and Barb when we are around, but not unlike the Joseph of the bible, I have always had a longing to have a relationship with my siblings. But to this day, that has been a near impossibility. I went my way and attempted to follow the path chosen by God and they all went there way and it seems like "never the two shall meet", so to speak.

I suppose I wanted to write this tonight, especially to myself, because unlike others, I try NOT to hold any grudges and anger against them. I guess that since I am feeling emotional in this manner, I just thought it would be good if my story could turn out similar to Joseph's story with his brothers in the end. I always pray for them and am very "uncertain" about their relationship to God (you know the old story, of the fruit bearing tree).

Anyway, I was just thinking about them and remembered the story of Joseph and I'm never sure which of these devotionals will be the last one I write so I thought I would suggest to all of you, that his story in Genesis 37:1 - 50:26 would be a wonderful story for you to take the time to read. It is an experience in pain, suffering, danger, deception, imprisonment, dreams and their interpretation, fear, promotions, love and forgiveness.

Today I see the signs of the times that so many people have waited for before they would believe that God even exists and as I watch our world crumble before our very eyes, I wonder what it has to get to before we put our arms around those that we love and cherish so that we can ask for and give forgiveness.

Can you relate to Joseph's story? Perhaps you should sit down and read the story and allow it to minister to a broken heart you may have.

Dave

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can definitely related. My sister and I used to be so very close but now it seems that she has no time for me and my parents. I fear that once my parents are gone my sister and I will never speak again. It's very sad cuz I just don't even know why she pulled away. We know each other's deep dark secrets but yet can't even be close anymore. Oh, well, such is life. I've tried but she just doesn't respond back. Thanks for knowing how I feel, wish neither of us did.