Crazy Papa

Crazy Papa
I'll make 'um an offer

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

I know the plans I have for you

Jer 29:11-13..."For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord. They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. In those days when you pray, I will listen. If you look for me in earnest, you will find me when you seek me."

A week ago, last Sunday morning, at about 1:30AM, I walked out the door of my apartment like one of the "Caped Crusaders" and when they placed me into the ambulance I felt like the "Hunchback of Notre Dame" feeling like I had fallen from a 4th story window to the concrete below. Today, I learned the results of all the x-rays and exams. My steel cage is still standing strong, however I have a cracked rib, some blood pooling in my right lung, and it looks like a slight infection of pneumonia. I truly thought I could "reason" with a couple of drunk teen-agers but that was not the case. Turns out they were not planning on respecting any authoritative figures on that night.

Tonight I wish I had never been awaken by their noise. I would have had absolutely no problem sleeping through all they were doing. But I believe in "reasoning" with others and spirited debate. After all, isn't that what the above verse says? God knows what He has planned for us and He says they are "...for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope". Of course the last 3 or 4 years have not brought out all of that "future and hope" in my life. In fact, that one action I took early that Sunday morning of trying to be an authoritative figure was probably NOT the plans God was referring to. Then in the middle of my pain, I did exactly what the passage says..."In those days when you pray, I will listen." So I prayed. And God said "If you look for me in earnest, you will find me when you seek me." I needed to seek God and when He responded He reminded me that this world is not my home and I am only passing through. His Word reminded me in John 16:33 "These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world."

We are all sick and hurting believers in Jesus and finitely, we think all should go well. But just as it didn't go well "in the garden" we will continue to have tribulation in this world. Thank God, Jesus overcame the world. I learned a valuable lesson at 56 years of age too. I learned that the next time someone creates that kind of disruption in the middle of the night, I will call the police first, then go outside to "reason" with the world (after I see the flashing red lights).

I've said this before but it bares repeating. "When you come to the edge of all the light you know and are about to step off into the darkness of the unknown, faith is knowing one of two things will happen: there will be something solid to stand on, or you will be taught how to fly."

Ain't God Great?
Dave

2 comments:

Bible artist said...

Hi Dave
Hope you are feeling better after the attack!
The Devil looks for every opportunity to knock us down-!!
Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

I read your devotionals from the Rest Ministries daily email and they have ministered to me. I'm 48 years old and a nine year survivor of stage 2 diffuse large cell non hodgkins lymphoma. Because of the cancer treatments and a pre-existing chronic illness, I've been on permanent disability for 10 years. At first I thought I'd never be able to minister in music again like I did before I got cancer, but now I'm the worship leader for an inner-city multi-housing outreach ministry! We have 5 ministry sites at public housing apartment complexes throughout the city. We just added the 5th site this month. God is so good! I'm glad you're OK. Did the police ever catch the people responsible? Again, thank you for your ministry. It's really given me courage and hope in my life. God bless you. In Christ, Rennie Auiler