Crazy Papa

Crazy Papa
I'll make 'um an offer

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Is God Working for Our Good?

One of my all time favorite verses of scripture is Romans 8:28 which reads..."And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose." Now, I believe that there are two key words in this verse; "All" and "Together". Let me explain. One of my favorites foods is homemade biscuits. I'm not talking about those biscuits that you slam on the countertop and a little doughboy pops out. I'm talking about "Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits". They are absolutely the best made. But you have to know how to make them. I'm sure if you find an older lady and ask her about it, she can give you directions. Let's try to make some ourselves, okay?

First, you need some flour. You need shortening and some salt. Don't forget the baking powder. And you also need some buttermilk. This is an important ingredient because there is nothing better than buttermilk biscuits. Okay let's consider these ingredients. How would you like to take a cup of flour and eat that by itself? How about the shortening? Would you eat it alone; boy that would help the flour come back up! What about the salt or the baking powder. And what about the buttermilk. Man I HATE buttermilk. I mean, you take regular milk, set it in the sun for four days and you've got buttermilk. I hate to drink anything I have to chew first. I hate that stuff. But, you HAVE to use it if you want to make these wonderful biscuits. How do you think these ingredients taste individually? I think you are getting the picture. Not so good, huh? But, take one of these older women, who know how to make biscuits, put them in the kitchen with those ingredients and man that's livin'. The whole house smells like fresh cooked biscuits. Put a little butter and honey on those biscuits and man, your in heaven.

You see, this is where the words "all" and "together" in the verse come into play. "...God causes all things to work together FOR GOOD..." Of course my problem is there are a lot of things that happen in my life that are just "NOT GOOD!" But God takes all of these things; He takes them into his heavenly kitchen, and He makes buttermilk biscuits with them. And man, it doesn't get any better. You see, God's Word has told us already that there would be measures of "buttermilk" in our lives. We would experience the bad taste of some things as we grow in this life. But God has taken everything, and I mean everything that has happened to me, in my life, and He is creating "buttermilk biscuits". And when these older women make you these biscuits what do you say? THAT WAS GREAT! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR MAKING THESE BISCUITS FOR ME!

Just a simple illustration to show that God is taking everything that happens in our lives, good and bad, and working it "...all together for good" BECAUSE He loves us; because He cares for us. So what should be our response to God while He is in the kitchen working on our lives. THANK YOU, GOD! THAT WAS GREAT! I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE NEED FOR ALL THE INGREDIENTS IN MY LIFE, BUT I KNOW YOU ARE "...CAUSING ALL THINGS TO WORK TOGETHER FOR GOOD TO THOSE WHO LOVE YOU..." THAT'S ME!

Tired of the hurt? Disappointed in the time it is taking to get over the pain? Take some time to thank the cook! All the glory belongs to God, so give it to Him and allow Him to minister to you today.

Dave

No comments: