Crazy Papa

Crazy Papa
I'll make 'um an offer

Monday, August 27, 2007

How Would You Respond?

In chapter 1 of the Old Testament book of Job, one by one, things begin to be taken from him. It is as though a radio announcer comes on and starts accounting for the catastrophes in Job's life. These catastrophes seem to come, one right after another as the suffering begins. First, Job's oxen have been stolen by an enemy raid, then in the blink of an eye, all his asses have disappeared. Then comes word that all of his sheep were killed by some kind of electrical storm and before he can catch his breath good, news comes about his herd of camels (true wealth in the oriental world) being completely wiped out in a natural catastrophe. Finally, and without warning, comes a heartwrenching blow to Job concerning his children. Seems they were in celebration when suddenly a great and terrible tornado hit the house and it was demolished. All of Job's children, seven sons and three daughters, were killed in one fatal blow. At the end of the first chapter of the book of Job, he responds to this terrible series of tragic, senseless accidents. "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return; the LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD." (Job 1;21)


Can we say that we would respond in the same manner? Do we have the "strength & patience" of Job when it comes to tragic events in our lives.

In Job 1: 8 we hear God ask Satan, "Have you considered My servant Job?" Perhaps this is God's way of bragging but He knows Job, knows what kind of man he is and knows the strength of his faith toward Himself, so he gives Satan permission to "mess" with Job's life. Naturally, Satan has to issue a challenge to God. "Take away all that he has and surely he will curse you" (paraphrased from Job 1:11).
Well with the damage done, Job gave his response in verse 21.

Myself and others like me face the difficulties of everyday life with a disease that currently cannot be cured. It's like any other serious event in life. When you set a time limit on something, suddenly the stress begins to develop, it becomes more difficult to stay strong day by day and life just becomes "heavy". However, in meeting others with cancer, I have realized that there are people who are hurting much more than I am with their problems in life. I have my wife and children. I have my four healthy grandchildren. I have a steady source of income (even though the State keeps it low). I do not live in pain from the cancer, however I can't say the same for my back. Maybe I have lost a few sheep, oxen and camels over the last few years, perhaps my financial outlook is not as bright as a few years ago, but look at what I have. I have been blessed beyond measure from the Lord, even moreso after my diagnosis. I have a family that loves and supports me every single day. They do things to make life less difficult for me. They even do fundraising events to support the progress of the Lymphoma Foundation. I have met some of the most caring people on the planet, and I never would have run into these people if I had not been picked by God for this trial.

I met a man who became a dear friend who was diagnosed with cancer after I was and he passed away two years this Christmas, Michael was his name. I remember visiting with him just before he died and I remember what I told him. When you come to the edge of all the light you know and are about to step off into the darkness of the unknown, faith is knowing one of two things will happen: there will be something solid to stand on, or you will be taught how to fly. I have a feeling that this is the way Job lived out his trials.

God bless!

No comments: