Crazy Papa

Crazy Papa
I'll make 'um an offer

Saturday, August 11, 2007

What if He had to do it again!

Well, Barb & I have been gone from home for 7 weeks now, little "Leo" has arrived and our time is coming to an end here in Texas. While I was trying to sleep tonight and thinking about the past, where we are and from where we've come. I thought about our visit overnight in Ft Worth, where I went to Seminary all those many years ago. So I got up, started looking through the photos we had taken while there & a thought crossed my mind..."could I do it again? Would I do it again?"

I was 33 years old when I moved my family from California to Texas to complete my education, in the direction of the ministry. I remember that it was HARD. It had been a long time since I was in the classroom and when I was, I really wasn't. Such a momentous task, I thought, at the time.

Then, while laying in bed, my thoughts turned to Christ as I listened to some Christian music on my ipod. Then I thought..."could He do it again? WOULD HE DO IT AGAIN?" It is now the 21st Century and our world has "run a muck" it seems and I thought, "What if Jesus had to come back to earth? What if He had to start His ministry all over again? Would He go through the pain He suffered over 2000 years ago? Would He stand trial again? Would He go to the Cross, one more time...for me? There is so much more chaos and sin in the world of today, it would seem like it would be needed, NOW MORE THAN EVER! But then I was reminded of His last words on the cross in the Gospel of John where He said "It Is Finished". The debt was paid, now and throughout eternity. The task completed...there is nothing left to do except to praise and thank Him for what He DID!

I probably wouldn't try to go back to get the education today. Too tired. Too sick. And He knew that so He called me there 23 years ago, to do what needed to be done then so I could be prepared for what needs to be done today.

Well, my grandson has arrived and in a day or so, Barb and I will be back on the road again. Back to our lives as normal, trying to minister, the best we know how, taking care of our "older" but much wiser bodies. Today, my biggest ordeal is getting through chemotherapy sessions without getting hospitalized. I had to realize that it would someday take my life. Perhaps some of you reading this will have a similar problem sometime in the future. That doesn't look so big to me anymore, when I look around the world and see that people are still going to hell! Can you help?

No comments: