Crazy Papa

Crazy Papa
I'll make 'um an offer

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

I Think I'll Change My Mind

Do you think that God ever changes His mind?  Not a trick question.  Really!  Do you, as a "fully devoted follower of Jesus Christ" (a Christian) think that God changes His mind?  Can He change His mind?  After all, we've been these very "dogmatic" believers who have preached for years that certainly God knows everything (which He does) and He has everything etched in stone (something like the 10 Commandments).  But really, ask yourself.  Does God sometimes change His mind?

I think back in Exodus when the children of God were running for their very lives to get away from the awful Pharaoh and try to get to the "Promised Land" for which Moses helped them set out for.  What about when they arrived at the Red Sea; What if God at first wanted then to turn left and take a leisurely stroll up the coastline of the Red Sea, enjoying the scenery and relaxing as they organized their families and walked their way to freedom?  And then suddenly, as if from out of nowhere, here comes Pharaoh's  massive army, chasing God's children and He said to Moses,  "Okay, just have them stop right here!  I'll cut this sea in half so that you all can walk across on dry land!"  We know that happened because it is written in scripture but do we really know and understand that there are circumstances that COULD POSSIBLY cause God to change His mind?  Just sayin', you know.

I had a very long discussion with God this morning and most of you know that I have what the medical industry considers a disease with little hope of fixing.  BUT, what if God changed His mind?  He knows I have been giving Him ALL the GLORY, in good days and bad.  What if He decided He wanted to use me to astonish the medical  society much like Jesus did as He dealt with the sick servant of the Centurion who eventually died before Jesus got there (Luke 7).  He died and Jesus decided that he should live some more so He healed him.  Amazing to those around Him.

I've spent a lot of the last few years praying for and asking God for miracles for others I have watched suffer tremendous pain and suffering and a time or two, I've mentioned my own ordeal.  But this morning, we talked for what seemed like an hour about what I want and what God wants.  I mentioned to Him that I was settled on His decision, but it didn't mean that I didn't want to see some of the "life-changing" events that my children and grand-children would go through over the next 20 years or so.  I tried not to be selfish but making sure God understood I was ready but still wanting.

Truly, in the medical field, there is not anything that can fix what I have short of this Bone Marrow Transplant, and we're not even really  sure of that!  But what if God changed His mind as His children reached the Red Sea with nowhere else to go?  What was it that caused Jesus to raise this Centurion's servant, even after he had already died?

Can God change His mind?  Does God change His mind?  Can I be a "miracle in progress" for His Glory?  Suddenly, I'm not so "Dogmatic" in my way of thinking.  Can God change His mind about me?  I don't know; He's God, not me.  But just a little confession...I did ask!

I  hope you are reading and getting something from my devotions.  They are "richly" inspired by my time with God.  And if you don't take the time to read them, there is some beautiful music on this blog that will  fill your own quiet time with His love.

This morning I feel like a million bucks.  By 2:00 O'clock this afternoon I may only feel like $85,000.00, but that's still more than I have in my bank account...lol.

Does God change His mind sometimes?  I don't know.  Why don't we just wait and see!

Dave

3 comments:

grammybarb said...

yes...I believe He does change his mind but He already knew He would ! =) Loved it Dave ! I bet God gets a good chuckle everytime we "make plans" for our future.... =) Love you...barb

Ann Hughes Zimmerman said...

Hi, Dave;
I don't know if God changes His mind in the same way we associate a mind-change. Perhaps it is rather, He sees a person developing the faith, or learning the lesson He had prepared which facilitates His being able to do something He wanted to do anyway. I've learned that no experience, however hard to go through, is ever wasted. It is always for our spiritual benefit. As we learn one lesson, we go on to another one, a harder one, with greater personal cost, which yields greater and greater benefits to us spiritually. Hard lessons are sent because we have a deep desire to be like Jesus Christ, rather than settling for the ordinary. When we pray, asking to know Him more, He always "changes His mind" (perhaps) and puts us through His college of higher learning--usually something that we think we cannot possibly endure. When we find out we can make it through with His divine power, it always comes as a total surprise to us. But before we can hardly catch our breath, here comes the next lesson. I have learned much the "hard way" since my dear first husband died. I would have preferred to learn it some other way, but I prayed to become like Christ, and I didn't get to choose my lessons. It has been worth it, in spite of the pain of loss. But I am thankful for the years I had with John, and am exceedingly grateful for a closer walk with Christ. And when in Heaven, we are all reunited, we will understand.
May God be your Rock, Fortress, and High Place to which you continually run. He is enough.

Anonymous said...

Sending a birthday wish and prayer to you today Dave. Hope you are having a wonderful day! God bless.