Crazy Papa

Crazy Papa
I'll make 'um an offer

Thursday, October 25, 2007

What Have We Come Here For?

Tonight, for the FIRST TIME EVER in my life, we shared a fellowship with ALL of our children (3) and All of our grandchildren (4), all in the same house, in the same room (since Leo was born), gathered around on the couch and chairs, on the love seat and floors, just enjoying the company and fellowship of one another. There in a crowded living room, in my son's home, we all sat together talking and sharing love for each other. My son and two daughters, my two granddaughters and two grandsons all together for the first time ever in our lives. I didn't think much about the emotional impact until just a few minutes ago as I was laying in bed listening to worship music on my iPod.

I was reminded of a story in the Gospel of John when Jesus stooped down to the ground to write something in the dirt. There were a few "troublemakers" there taking issue with a young woman and making accusations about her and another man. Jesus simply stooped to the ground and starting writing in the dirt. The implication here is that some of the people there began to recognize their sin. Some, perhaps even recognizing their need for a savior. And without further argument they began to disburse from the scene starting with the oldest and working down to the youngest in the group. And this made me think, for even as "sweet" as the fellowship was, as historical as the gathering of our family was, did we recognize, in that small group, our sin? Did we acknowledge our need for a savior tonight as a family. I cannot honestly confess that we did, at least not me. Totally consumed in the event of my entire family all in one place for the first time ever, all I could think of was the joy in my heart for those that I love so much. I didn't take the time to spiritually rationalize our collective need for a savior, I just enjoyed the peace of the moment.

Of course, later on this evening, while listening to the worship music, I was reminded of what we are all here for. A beautiful song by Selah called "Wonderful, Merciful, Savior" was playing in my headphones and I closed my eyes to see the wonder of its message...

"You are the hope in our heart, Lord.
You are the one that we praise,
You are the one we adore,
You give the healing and grace, Lord,
that's all we've come here for!"

Almighty Omnipotent Father...here in our weakness,
You find us, falling before Your throne,
You are the one that we praise,
You are the one we adore,
You give us healing and grace,
that's all we've come here for.
"


These are a couple of the verses of the song but how strong it was tonight.

My thoughts drifted back to the story of the woman caught in adultery, and the men who stood around her. Those men knew from the beginning what they had come there for, but I can't help wonder if their thoughts on that subject changed as the event progressed. As they recognized their sin is it possible that some of them gave new wonder to what they were there for?

I am a fortunate man. My son and both of my daughters know Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior, they guide, and I am sure will continue to guide their children (my grandchildren) toward the same knowledge of Jesus Christ in their lives.

So what did we come there for? Of course, we all wanted to wish Mom/Grandma well on her birthday celebration, and for the first time, we all gathered around and welcomed our new grandson into the fold and I am sure tonight, even though there was no exhaustive talk about spiritual matters, the entire family knew exactly "what we came there for"

Thank you, Selah, for the reminder.

No comments: