Crazy Papa

Crazy Papa
I'll make 'um an offer

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Devotion Updates From Fresno, California

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Blessing Come In Times Of Trouble

We live our lives in such a chaotic state that sometimes we don't even know in which direction we are going. Ever feel that way? It happens to all of us. Something in our lives disturbs the "natural flow" of life and we get "wigged out" over it and cannot seem to get back on track. A tornado or hurricane of massive proportion shows up and our legs come out from under us.

Proverbs 10:25 says, "When the whirlwind passes, the wicked is no more, but the righteous has an everlasting foundation." What about Proverbs 12:3: "A man will not be established by wickedness, but the root of the righteous will not be moved."

At what level does the wind disturb your relationship with God? Is there a level? There was a man named Job in the Old Testament who's life was perfect, until the wind began to blow. His response in Job 13:15 was "Though He slay me, I will hope in Him..."

As long as I live in this world, I will never forget a lady named Sandy. She was a cancer patient receiving chemotherapy at the same time as me. She was very afraid and it showed. We sat in the same room together, both receiving the poison in our veins that was supposed to kill the cancer and save our lives. She was short on confidence and she overheard my discussion with the patient next to me and she began to ask questions. She wanted to know more about the peace I spoke of and before that conversation ended, I found myself on my knees, with an IV sticking out of my chest, in front of her chair praying a prayer of faith and listening to her ask Jesus to give her this peace.

Without a doubt, I DO NOT LIKE THIS CANCER however, if I had not acquired this illness, it is likely that I would never have been in the same room with Sandy, EVER!
The wind blows. Hurricanes happen. Tragedy strikes whomever it feels like striking. Look again at the last part of Proverbs 10:25. It says, "...the righteous has an everlasting foundation." What is your foundation made of? You may never experience anything as difficult as cancer or perhaps the death of a loved one but don't you think that your foundation deserves to be rooted in Jesus Christ...just in case?

Dave

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

"Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy" (Matthew 5:7). The one thing that we need most of in this life is mercy. There are so many ways to "screw something up" that mercy is the only real way out. Some things get messed up in life and we just cannot fix them, no matter how hard we try. But Jesus, as He preached through the beatitudes, explained that mercy is the key.

Have you ever held a grudge against someone? Now be honest! Ever go back to the situation and think about how you would love to "get them back"? Do you realize that any time you have more than one person in a room, you have more than one opinion? We are all made different, we think differently, we live differently, have different ideas and different ways of doing things. But here is what the Son of God suggested to us. In the face of adversity, we should show "mercy". In Matthew 6:14 He said, "For if you forgive men for their transgressions, your heavenly Father will also forgive you."

Is there someone or something in your life that you harbor anger against? Are you holding on to that desire to "slap the hand that slapped you"? You cannot bring a merciless lifestyle into God's arena and expect to be blessed. You've heard the saying, "Let go and let God"! Well here's your wake-up call. "Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy". There is no "Grudge" department in heaven so you might as well let it go now.

Dave


Monday, June 1, 2009

This Is My High Priest

"...He is able to save forever those who draw near to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them" (Hebrews 7:25).

"those who draw near to God..." is a very intimate part of this scripture. He loves us so and wants us to bring our whole lives to Him for His care and consideration. God made two covenants with man. The first was an unconditional covenant (like His covenant with Israel in Isaiah 59:21) which He will never repent of as seen in Psalm 110:4 and the second one was conditional when He said that "My spirit shall not strive with man forever..." (Genesis 6:3).

These covenants better help us to understand the power with which "...He always lives to make intercession for them." So let's continue the writer's thoughts here: "For it was fitting that we should have such a high priest, holy, innocent, undefiled, separated from sinners and exalted above the heavens; who does not need daily, like those high priests, to offer up sacrifices, first for His own sins, and then for the sins of the people, because this He did once for all when He offered up Himself" (Hebrews 7:26&27).

For all of us, it is very hard to fully comprehend God, but it is not too difficult to see how much He cares for us. When I read scripture like this, I feel like I could just melt from the abundance of love He shows. Just yesterday I wrote about how much my wife and kids love me. I am overwhelmed at the love, so much love, that He has provided for me, and for them, and for you.
Can you feel His love today? I sure hope so!

Dave

No comments: