Crazy Papa

Crazy Papa
I'll make 'um an offer

Saturday, November 29, 2008

You'd Probably Complain If You Were Hung With A New Rope!

When I was just a young child, living at home, my brothers and I would go to the end of our street and play baseball all day long. At the end of the day we would hear a loud whistle which we immediately recognized as our Dad, calling us home for dinner. When we arrived home, we almost always complained to our Dad about someone else's new glove or bat, new tennis shoes or something. So our Dad would say, "You boys would probably complain if you were hung with a new rope." We never really understood what he meant but as a much older child now, I can see what he was saying.

In 2 Corinthians 11:21-33 the Apostle Paul defends him apostleship and doesn't mix words on what has happened to him, it was brutal (please read it). What about God's people who were rescued by Moses before he parted the Red Sea (Ex. 15:12..."For it would have been better for us to serve the Egyptians than to die in the wilderness."And what about the disciples when the 5,000 were fed in Matt. 14:15-21, "...but we have here only five loaves and two fish..." And how about Jesus as He hung on the cross, between heaven and hell, suspended by nails. I didn't read anywhere that He called on the blind man He healed to go get the SWAT Team and take Him down from the cross.

We have so much to complain about today. The economy is terrible and it will probably get darker before it gets light again. None of us seem to have enough toys or cell phones, computers or televisions. Our neighbors are "infringing" on our space at our home by allowing their water to sprinkle over our wall. I'm too short; He's too fat. It gives new meaning to the "New Rope" phrase, huh? Where does the complaining stop? I love the new song by the Eagles called "Get Over It". A great message.

I don't wish to live my life like that and I won't. We've talked a lot over the last three years about me having a "terminal disease" but guess what? You do too! We will all stand before Jesus Christ someday and give an account for our complaints and sins. Early on in my adult life I realized that I have taken over the position of the Apostle Paul as "Chief Sinner" because I believe I am very good at sinning. I'm also in very good company.

Here's what Paul said that makes all of this other stuff so trivial. It's in Phil 3:14 where he says..."I press on toward the goal, for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus."

My final thoughts on this subject are not my own but are best said in this passage of scripture: "If therefore there is any encouragement in Christ, if there is any consolation of love, if there is any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and compassion, make my joy complete by being of the SAME MIND, maintaining the same love, united in spirit, intent on one purpose. Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind let each of you regard one another as more important than himself; do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others. Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross." (Phil 2:1-8)


What's your complaint today?

Dave

No comments: