Crazy Papa

Crazy Papa
I'll make 'um an offer

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Eagerly Wait With Patience

In the book of James, we are admonished to "Consider it all joy" when encountering various trials. What could be considered "various trials"? Well, we worry, we weep, we continue in self-works. We are weak, we wobble, we want things that we shouldn't have. We have disrupted families, lost jobs, financial difficulties and even serious illnesses. James goes on to tell us to "let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing."

Is it possible that we are being taught a lesson in "Patience" here? I mean, I've been a Christian for 30 years now and few times in my life, have I every prayed to God for patience. ARE YOU KIDDING? Asking for patience is like asking God to strike the final match, some will say. But Romans 8:25 tells us to "eagerly wait with patience." REALLY? WAIT WITH PATIENCE? Can the author of Romans really mean what he is saying? Well, do we really want to be "perfect and complete, lacking in nothing?" I know I do. I want to leave behind the worry, the weeping, the self-works, my weakness and wobbling ways. There are Christians in this world who are "sick unto death" and they experience patience. How is that? So sick that death is right around the corner and patience shows through?

Hold steady when the fires burn,
When inner lessons come to learn,
And from this path there seems to turn--
Let patience have her perfect work
. (Author Unknown)

I found out a couple of weeks ago that a Bible Study friend had been diagnosed with Breast Cancer. Being a cancer patient, I thought I could call and offer some words of encouragement. Before the phone call was complete, she was wanting to pray for me. Patience. God has promised more to us than anyone ever has or will ever be able to do.

How much do you appreciate the salvation that was given to you, freely, I might add? Enough to have patience with God? Sometimes we pray and pray and then we wait and wait, never seeing the manifestation of God in our prayers. James tells us in verse 3 that "the testing of our faith produces endurance" (patience). If you want to be physically stronger you exercise your muscles. You want to grow your faith, you "wait with patience".

I read a book by Max Lucado called "Facing Your Giants". It was so good I went through it a couple of times. We all face giants in our lives everyday, but "The Lord is in His holy temple, the Lord's throne is in heaven"(Ps.11:4) When we need Him, He is in His holy temple in heaven and only a conversation away, waiting to help us "produce endurance" (patience/faith). Are you afraid that life will fall apart if you "let go"? Exercise your patience knowing that the Lord is in His Holy temple.

No comments: