Crazy Papa

Crazy Papa
I'll make 'um an offer

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Don't Worry, Be Happy

"Do not be anxious then, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'With what shall we clothe ourselves?'"(Matt 6:31)

Today it came to me as to WHY this is such a powerful scripture verse. Yesterday was a very worrisome day for me. I don't know why. I don't usually get "overly concerned" with these things. Living on Social Security has it's benefits. At least you know how little you will get each month. But for some reason I was extremely worried about our finances. I've never slept outside nor have I ever missed a meal. But all day it seemed, I was full of worry.

I found myself going from my recliner to the computer, looking up the bank account and checking assets against outstanding checks and debts; probably half a dozen times yesterday. It continued throughout the day and on into the night as I lay in bed with numbers continually floating through my head.

I woke up this morning with extreme back pain and weakness in my left leg. Some of you may know that I have a 3 inch Titanium Cage in my lower back as a fusion. It was hurting something terrible. It was so bad, that my leg was getting so weak I feared falling down. Barb and I called the pain doctor and they were able to see me right away. He put a 3 inch needle in my low back and filled the joint full of some sort of medication which very shortly "numbed" everything, relieving some of the pain.

We came home and rested but the events of yesterday kept popping up in my head. Why was I so worried? What concerned me so? The check always comes! The rent always gets paid. Well, now it is 1:19am the next morning and I am sitting here in front of my blog, writing because God has spoken yet again. He gave me the verse above and a couple other verses that say (continuing in vs 32), "For all these things the Gentiles eagerly seek; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added to you. therefore do not be anxious for tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Kinda makes me wonder where the severe backache came from. Worrying about things I cannot control when the King of the Universe is trying to speak to me.

I know you are probably hurting tonight, but are you worrying? "Seek first His Kingdom and righteousness..." and let tomorrow take care of itself. By the way, the numbers never changed. Each time I calculated them, they continued to remain the same. Today, the debts are current! Ain't God Great?

2 comments:

Rena said...

Dave, this spoke so to me! I am a former CPA who is chronically ill and unable to work. I let my background intrude into my personal life and spend too much time worrying about the numbers and how to match them up, as you described. I need to write that scripture on note cards and post them all around the house - God will provide for me. Even these hospital and dr bills that are beyond my capacity - he will provide. Thank you for sharing the wisdom God has given you.

Dave said...

The easiest thing for us to do is to "worry". It takes no money, requires no transportation, nor do we need anyone's help. Our biggest adversary knows that we need no assistance to worry so this is the easiest way he can intrude in our lives. This is why God requires us to live our lives based on His plan and Him living within us to thwart off these offensive attacks from Satan. "Be anxious for nothing, but in all things with prayer..." (parapharsed). The ONLY way for us to reach REAL PEACE is for us to surrender even our minds to His purpose.
God Bless You, Rena